maandag 20 oktober 2014

About fairness and opportunities

Last night I send an e-mail to the coordinator and the tutor of my Master's programme. As you can imagine, the whole film-experience made me decide this.

It seemed fair to me to let the people in charge know what is going on with me. In the first two weeks I felt pretty lonely in my search for solutions to deal with my disability. Thereafter, it turned out that I was able to deal with some difficulties myself, and my thought about the whole autism stuff became basically: "They can't help me, I will manage on my own."

But.

Why wouldn't I try another time? Yes, that takes energy. A lot! But wouldn't it be fair to let the people, who were actually very respectful to me the first time I approached them, know how I am doing? And to tell them with what I need extra help? Shouldn't I give them the opportunity to back me up?

First, three things that are going very very good:
1. The division of the lectures over the week. Tuesday and Thursday are off-days and to be honest, I think these days are the reason I am able to do this programme. The same goes for the break-week: studying is not difficult for me, but going to class is!
2. The lecture-breaks. All teachers give good breaks, almost always in the middle of the lecture and long enough. These breaks help me to reload.
3. The start of the lectures is at least 10 a.m. This is good because it takes me time to get going in the morning.

Which things are still difficult?
The traveling! Even though it takes me 10 minutes by bike, the facts that I have to dress, go outside, pack my back and go into the traffic, make it an energy-slurping event.

Also, not all teachers are able to manage their schedules or express their expectations. As the coordinator of the programme advised me, I think I will e-mail them to tell about my autism and try to give clear solutions for the problems.

To conclude, some quotes from the coordinator's e-mail that made me very happy:
"Thanks for the good e-mail you sent me."
"This is literally the last e-mail I send before going on a holiday, because I didn't want you to wait for a reaction."
"I have respect for the way you are dealing with your disability."
"We will try to be a good help as much as we can."

So far this journey as an autistic student in university.